Preparing to move anything into self storage is already challenging enough, and loading and unloading a trailer adds yet another complexity. However, it becomes an easier experience if you first learn how to load up your trailer properly.

Whether you be toting boxes, a boat, or even a car, you need to know how to balance and prepare your trailer, as well as how to drive it on the road. Here are some helpful tips from Holloway Transport to make loading and moving your trailer safer and easier.

 

unloading trailer at storage warehouse

 

Properly Loading Your Trailer

First, assess what you’ll actually be putting on your trailer. To keep things really clear, make a moving inventory sheet, and figure out how many boxes or containers you will actually be using. You may want to try to scrounge around to get moving boxes for free, but really, it’s not worth it!

You can’t always trust an old box to remain stable and steady during a move. For additional peace of mind, try buying boxes online or directly from a moving company.

Next, make sure to pack your boxes properly. The principles of good packing are as follows: wrap fragile items with bubble wrap, packing paper, towels, or clothes.

Heavier items should be towards the bottom, and no box should be too heavy or too awkward to lift. Make sure to use a lightweight material to fill extra spaces in boxes so your belongings aren’t rattling around.

Before you try to tow your trailer, make sure it’s capable of carrying the full weight of your load, and if your hitching equipment has the same capacity! If so, you need to distribute the weight properly on the trailer.

That means approximately 60% the weight at the front part (towards the hitch connection) and the remaining 40% more towards the door of the trailer. Try to keep the balance on the left side and right side even, too.

Obviously, the heavier objects (couches, tables, etc.) matter more when it comes to balancing, but smaller and lighter boxes can be used to keep these bigger items stable.

 

Securing Your Trailer

Even once you have all your belongings, boxes, and furniture in your trailer, you’re not quite ready to go yet. To prevent movement inside the trailer, remember that all the weight inside has to be secured with ropes. If the weight distribution inside greatly changes, your trailer will be unstable and swing around behind your vehicle.

For clear reasons, this is VERY dangerous. A driver may even lose control of their vehicle. So, secure everything inside the trailer using ropes and ties. Visit http://hollowaystoragesydney.com.au/warehousing-and-distribution-solutions/3pl/ for 3PL trailer integration advice.

 

To avoid swaying while on the road, begin driving slowly, and be patient when increasing your speed, never more than above the legal speed limit. If your trailer begins to sway at all, simply let go of the gas pedal until your vehicle is moving a bit more slowly and the trailer falls into line behind.

Do NOT speed up, step on the brakes, or try to veer onto the shoulder of the world. Steer as little as possible. When you can find a safe stopping spot, take the time to rearrange your cargo load. It may seem tedious and annoying to stop at the time, but it will save you anxiety and frustration throughout the rest of your trip.

Another safety idea is to have designated electric trailer breaks. Some states require this for safety, but not all do. You may want to inquire about this if you are renting a trailer for your move. These type of breaks slow down the trailer itself instead of just the car, so your entire vehicle is moving as one unit.

Overall, if you make sure to plan your move thoroughly, take the time to balance and properly load your trailer, and drive with a heightened sense of safety, you should have a successful journey towards your self storage facility.